Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:12:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha machdep.c mp_machdep.c vm_ma

On 13-Aug-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:

> More correct? Thanks for talking with me about it first.

*sigh*  I thought I had said something when I replied to the initial commit,
but looking back at the archives I didn't say anything specific to IPI_HALT.
The short version is that with IPI_HALT the 4100 here at work always hung.
When I tried to add in a handshake to transfer things over to the boot cpu to
fix that I found that every shutdown resulted in a reboot, even shutdown -h,
which resulted in discovering the bug in prom_halt() (After which I pulled out
the brown book and hunted down the section I mentioned to verify.)  I can back
this out if you prefer.  I should have said something earlier however, or at
least ran the patch by you first.