Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:59:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

On 29-Nov-01 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Giorgos writes:
>
>> Why?
>
> Because a single-user system does not have the overhead of a multiuser
> system,
> and it is more ergonomic as well.

Humm, so I guess the fact that the terminal room desktop boxes I setup at
BSDCon last year that booted over the network and automatically logged in on
bootup into an X session that restarted from scratch when a user logged out was
a lot of overhead?  Amazing since it probably took all of 10 minutes of effort
to do.  Well, maybe 15 since I like to test things in stages.

>> "More applications" for what definition of "more"
>> and "applications" ?
>
> More = larger number, applications = anything that runs under the OS but is
> not
> part of it.

Oh, yes, having 400 versions of tic tac toe is very valuable.  Very much
indeed. :)

>> For what definition of "secure"?
>
> Not crashing the system.

Umm, that's called "stable", not "secure".

Granted, I still use Windows for games, but to be very bluntly honest, the
_only_ applications for which being closer to the hardware than most Unix-like
OS's allow is games.  Word processors, spreadsheets, presentation tools, etc.
do not need to grub around in the video cards internals.  They just don't.
Only games need this stuff.  Windows is fine for games except that it tends to
lock up and crash a lot even then.

I've watched pieces of this thread, and your arguments are really fairly
rediculous.  You constantly contradict yourself and seem to be on a holy war to
convince people that Windows is the only viable desktop for anyone in an
attempt to combat people who say that their pet OS is perfect everywhere.  The
irony is that you are the one proclaiming that your pet OS is perfect on all
desktops.  The real truth which you think you are communicating (but aren't) is
that different OS's are good in different places.  This includes within the
desktop arena.  FreeBSD is a better desktop for me than Windows since I rarely
play games and spend most of my time either reading mail, hacking code, or
chatting on IRC.  Since the code I'm hacking is the FreeBSD kernel, it is quite
a bit easier for me to use FreeBSD as my desktop for doing this.

However, my parents use Windows on their machine as that is more comfortable
for them.  Then again, they have so many problems with it that I'm tempted to
at least put a FreeBSD gateway/nat box in their house to eliminate all the
network problems at least. :)