Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 15:06:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/sed main.c sed.1

On 07-May-2002 J. Mallett wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:39:43PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:32:18AM -0700, J. Mallett wrote:
>>
>> >   Reviewed by:    developers@ (got feedback from: des, fanf, sobomax,
>> >   roberto,
>> >                   obrien)
>>
>> is there a reason this was posted to developers@, rather than one of
>> the public mailing lists?  it really doesn't seem like an additional
>> flag for sed is something that needs to be discussed in private.
>
> It came up in a discussion, and I felt sorta like I'd been dared to do it, so
> I replied when I'd done it, and it got a surprisingly good response, so I
> decided to clean it up, and commit it, once I'd satisfied all of my concerns
> with it.

It still would have been a good idea to send out the actual patch for review
on a public list.  Personally, I won't use sed -i if it insists on leaving
backup files around that I have to go the trouble to delete.  I might as well
just do sed 'foo' < foo > foo.bak.  I only use -i when I'm not specifying a
backup extension.  Those are the only times I use perl in fact, and thus I
will probably continue to use perl for such things.