Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:55:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Mr. Mark Murray" <mark@grondar.za>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

On 09-May-2002 Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:59:00AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
>

>> > A symlink is a much more sensible solution to this problem and a
>> > redirector just seems to be creating a toy for the fun of it rather than
>> > to solve any real problem.
>>
>> A symlink to where??  You may not assume /usr/local.
>
> IMHO the symlink should only be created by the perl port install, so
> ${PREFIX}
> is honoured.

Ports should avoid messing with stuff outside of ${PREFIX} if they can
help it.  Existing systems will already have a /usr/bin/perl on them
unless the user goes and removes it.  People writing or executing scripts for
new systems can easily figure out something is wrong when they get:

/usr/bin/perl: not found

or some such.  Just remove perl and let it be installed from the port.
As long as its documented in the release notes and UPDATING I don't think
this is a major concern.