Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:56:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI brokenness

On 02-Oct-2002 Mark Murray wrote:
>> > Iwasaki-San's patch made no difference that I could see. Disabling ACPI
>> > causes my system to hard-hang during reboot. I might be able to fix that
>> > by futzing with device.hints, but that took me a whole weekend and a
>> > reinstall last time I tried. Device.hints is a dangerous thing to play with.
>>
>> All device.hints should give you is your console back if you are
>> missing it.  Do you mean hard hangs on reboot such as after you do a
>> shutdown -r now the system shuts down, tries to reboot, and then just
>> stays black and never boots?
>
> "Hard hang" means that the probe messages stop around the parallel
> device, and nothing else happens. The PCCARD ethernet remains dead.
> the disk is silent and no amount of keyboard activity does anything
> at all. Serial console dead. Reset needed to reboot.

So it doesn't boot at all, that's different from "hard-hang during reboot".
:)  After ppc your device probe is over.  You could be getting an
interrupt storm.  Can you break into ddb when this happens?

>> > 22nd September ACPI works. Suspend/resume, power shutdown, etc.
>>
>> That's like saying that PAM works if all the programs that use PAM
>> automatically fall back to reading /etc/master.passwd manually and
>> complaining that people broke things when they removed the ability
>> to read /etc/master.passwd manually thus revealing the inherent
>> breakage in PAM.
>
> Point taken.
>
>> (Just in hypothetical terms.)
>
> In practical terms, this is a regression, in that previous function
> has been removed before an adequate replacement was ready.

Ok, I have a question now.  How did ata get probed before?  If you
add hints for it does it get probed?  It doesn't appear to be a PCI
device.  It may be that we need to make it work as an ATA attachment
somehow.  Also, did ata1 show up before?

>> Iwasaki-San's patch adds back in the only part of the extra "bogus"
>> stuff that legacy took out that could have an effect on your system
>> with respect to PCI.
>
> Ok. But it doesn't work. :-(

Well, it does fix some things since we now find your PCI devices.
Assuming that works that is all that legacy changed.  Adding
legacy didn't change anything wrt ata(4).  Did you used to have
hints for ata and now don't perchance?