Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:21:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   After make world: "file system mount failed"

Hi,

I was glad to come home to "make world completed" on my laptop
(-current ca. 10/20). I
remade the devices and tried to reboot. The automatic fsck seems to go
OK, but I don't get the file systems. Specifically,

swapon: adding /dev/wd0s1b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/rwd0a: clean, 14339 free (67 frags, 1784 blocks, 0.2%
fragmentation)
/dev/rwd0s1f: clean, 238530 free (3114 frags, 29427 blocks, 0.5%
fragmentation)
/dev/rwd0s1e: clean, 28990 free (94 frags, 3612 blocks, 0.3%
fragmentation)
mount: exec mount_ not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin: No such file or
directory
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

Just for the heck of it, I tried some stuff:

# mount
root_device on / (local, readonly)

# mount -u /
mount: exec mount_ not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin: No such file or
directory

# mount -a -t ufs
mount: ufs filesystem is not available (this 3 times)

Does the stuff in "share" have anything to do with this problem. SInce
the build quit there the first time, I did "make -DNOSHARE world" but
forgot to go into /usr/src/share and try to make that stuff.

I didn't post this to current because I don't think the problem is with
the sources. I installed the same sources on another machine. I guess
I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg