Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 16:01:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Hideki Yamamoto <hyama@kansai.oki.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos and msdosfs for VFAT/FAT32 access

On 18-May-98 Hideki Yamamoto wrote about "Re: mount_msdos and msdosfs for
VFAT/FAT32 access":
> Before reading your mail, I myself resolved "mount -p problem" and
> others, and uploaded them to my web page last night
> (http://members.aol.com/hyama99/).

Great! I will get that ASAP.

> Some part of your patches to -current(17th May) is different from mine.
> I ignored the -current changes of msdosfs_vnops.c between 1.67 and 1.68,
> because my test of 1.68 patched for -stable reboot my system when
> writing DOS file.  I will test your patch to msdosfs_vnops.c tonight.

Don't! I posted them without testing (ehm...), and later I discovered that I'm
getting kernel panics (msdosfs_lock: locking against myself). Of course, you
did the right thing: I blindly applied all -current patches, but shouldn't
apply the 1.67 -> 1.68 patch as that one requires patches to other kernel files.

> I will merge the other your patches into mine, test them, and
> upload them as a new version soon.

Ok, fine. I'm running currently with tonight (19th May 00:30 UTC) -current
sources, but the 1.68 locking changes, and it seems to work.

I'm updating the msdosfs sources on a daily basis, please let me know if you
would like to receive more patches as -current goes on. I will not send today
ones because they are relative to your v0.3 sources, and that isn't the last
version anymore.

One thing that I don't like of -current version is that it will not generate a
long name on a FAT16 slice unless it finds a long name there. I had to reboot
under Windows 95, put a dummy file with long name on that slice and then reboot
under FreeBSD to make it write long names. I don't like this feature, but I know
it was added recently for pre-Windows 95 compatibility. It would be great to
have a mount option to force long names.

> Hideki Yamamoto (hyama@acm.org)

Bye, UP