Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:30:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Numard (Norberto Meijome)" <numard@smartmedia.com.ar>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Doskey?

On 15-Jul-98 Numard (Norberto Meijome) wrote:
> Andrew Specht wrote:
>>
>> Doskey does the same thing as the .bash_history file if i remember
>> correctly.
>>
>> It allows you to scan through your previous commands.
> yup.... but only the last 50 (compare it to the last 500 in my unix box,
> be it Linux or FreeBSD :))) One nice thing that WinNT has in its shell
> is when you press F7, a pop-up window shows up and you can scroll
> through the history and select w/<enter> what you want. But you can work
> your way around with ~/.bash_history

Then try <CTRL>-r and type some chars. It'll scan through the history and
update the result depending on your search-pattern.

Additionally try setting "export HISTSIZE=200000" in your ~/.bashrc or
~/.bash_profile to get 200000 lines of typed history. Increment to your
desire or machine-limits.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
Date: 15-Jul-98