Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 21:21:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Cacheable memory"??

A few random comments about chipsets etc. A couple of months ago I was looking
to upgrade and looked in the Super Socket 7 stuff a lot.

The MVP3 is actually not very good. The VP3 is the orginal version and is okay,
but doesn't do the 100MHz bus. THe MVP3 does, but the M stands for "Mobile".
The MVP3 is a cut down version of a VP£ with some new features! I summize that
VIA started development work on the VP3, once that got going started a project
to develop a version attractive to laptop makers and did a cut down (i.e.
smaller package -> less pins -> less address lines), but this coincided with
the Super Socket 7 specs. so they did the design for 100MHz. The design of the
VP3 was too far gone to add the 100MHz stuff (maybe process).

The Ali chipsets, however, look much better. In general all of the buffers etc.
on the ALi 5 are twice as big as the MVP3, this may result in better system
performance. The ALi chipset also has part of the RAM needed for the cache on
chip (the tag RAM). This will help cost/stability, but not necessarily speed.

Given a choice I would buy a Ali 5 chipset (Aladdin also re-spun the chipset to
help a boot problem with FreeBSD, that's what I call support).

Duncan

PS. In the end I went for a TX MB, at the time the only Super 7 boards were
MVP3 in the UK and where a bit flaky. The Tx had the advantage of being dirt
cheap and providing me with lots of PCI and no AGP (I have a nice Millenium
which would be a shame to waste).

---