Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:38:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: extremely slow cc1plus

On 20-Nov-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * > Hm.  The compilation (of this file) just finished, I think it took
>  * > about 10 CPU minutes.
>  *
>  * Welcome to the wonderful world of C++.  It's the best thing that ever
>  * happened to Starbucks.
>
> Ok, so it's normal?  Thanks, I won't worry about it then.  It's just
> the package building machine, I can leave it to run as long as it
> desires.

I can't say for sure that it's normal.  Ten minutes is a long time
to compile one file.  I suppose it might take that long if the file
expanded a whole bunch of templates.  Since it eventually finished,
I guess it was making some progress the whole time.

Let's see, what's the package building machine again?  Is it a 386/20,
or did they upgrade it to a 25?  Also, does it have the full megabyte
of RAM, or just 640K?  These things make a difference, you know ...  ;-)

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken