Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:20:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Right way to upgrade a port

On 26-May-99 Oscar Bonilla wrote:
> I was just wondering what is the right way to upgrade a port...
> say i have foobar-1.2 and the port has been upgraded to foobar-2.0
>
> do I
>
> 1. pkg_delete foobar-1.2
>    cd /usr/ports/misc/foobar
>    make install
>
> 2. cd /usr/ports/misc/foobar
>    make install
>

> how do you guys do it and why?

I think the True Way is #1.  Doing #2 has a few nasties such as leaving old
files around and having a very polluted /var/db/pkg.

> p.s. wouln't it be cool if you could install on top of the old version
> and later remove the new version just to find out that the old version
> still works. :)

I have a feeling that that would require a lot of hard drive space for backups
:-).  There could be the odd chance that would work.  Say, if the new version
installed everything in a different place!

---
Chris Piazza    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
           cpiazza@home.net
finger norn@norn.ca.eu.org for PGP key