Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:22:00 -0800
From:      Rachel Leising <rleising@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   name resolution problems and "full socket buffers"

I can't seem to get name resolution working correctly.

According to sniffer output, the dns query goes out fine and the
response comes back just fine. However, my machine then replies to
the dns server with an ICMP "port unreachable message"... regardless
of the ephemeral port used by my machine as the source port for the
dns query.

nestat -s also shows the following udp counters incrementing:

"x dropped due to no socket"
"y dropped due to full socket buffers"

The output of "sysctl -a", for the relevant variables, seems fine...
when compared to that of another machine which is working correctly.

I can ping ip addresses just fine, however because name-resolution is
broken, there isn't a whole lot of "networking" going on.

There are no firewalls configured on the broken system.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Rach