Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:48:48 -0800
From:      freebsd@johnea.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

On 2017-11-22 18:23, Chris H wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:29:46 -0800 "Benno Rice" <benno@FreeBSD.org> said

>> With the removal of the fortune datfiles I think it’s time to have a
>> discussion about fortune(6).

> I'd like to suggest that fortune be re-instated, using FreeBSD tips as the
> default.

I also think "traditional/classic" fortune(s) should be left in base, with the .login/.profile default set to freebsd-tips.

Every day the logwatch email provides me with output from fortune. Over the years I've learned of many interesting people, quotes and events this way. I've never been presented output that is even marginally offensive. (actually, I've seen much more offensive content on this mailing list 8-)

If fortune is eliminated from base, IMHO this will be a loss for FreeBSD.

john