Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:48:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting a callback ip address for nfsv4 client

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> One possibility is to connect() a socket to the server address, then call
>> getsockaddr() to query what address the network stack is using.  If the
>> connection completed, then the address could at least send packets to the
>> server, even if it isn't reachable from the server.
>>
>> (Obviously, kernel versions of the above...)
>
> we ended up with him doing "whatever the connect code would have done" since
> as he is in fact inside the kernel, he can just do the same..

I figured that if the RPC layer was going to make a connection anyway, we
could just query the RPC layer and ask it what address it had used.  However,
if the decision needs to be made earlier than that, then that doesn't make as
much sense.  This would mean NFS could avoid knowing about routes and
interfaces, and just know about sockets and addresses.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge