Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2010 21:58:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jason Naughton <jason@naughton.ca>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sane-backend 1.0.21 broke on 8.0?

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Jason Naughton wrote:

> It seems though that scanimage cannot determine the scanner as it has to
> be specified by the -d epson as if I issue:
>
> $ scanimage --format=tiff > foo2.tiff
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>
> which is also the same result from
>
> $ scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> Not sure why scanimage -L can't find it but sane-find-scanner does..  This
> is the same results for root or user.  I would rather work with xsane as I
> need to increase the resolution of the scan but that fails to find the
> scanner and thus doesn't work at all.

The Handbook says "No output or a message saying that no scanners were
identified indicates that scanimage(1) is unable to identify the
scanner. If this happens, you will need to edit the backend
configuration file and define the scanner device used."

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/scanners.html#AEN9379