Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:34:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jason Naughton <jason@naughton.ca>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sane-backend 1.0.21 broke on 8.0?

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010, Jason Naughton wrote:

> I went to the handbook first before sending this email and before madly
> surfing the web. If you look at my epson.conf file:
>
> # grep -v "^#" /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
> usb 0x04b8 0x011e
> usb /dev/uscanner0
>
> The second line is pointless as with Freebsd 8.X there is no /dev/uscanner
> of any kind.  The first line indicates that there's a usb scanner of
> product id: 0x04b8 and Vendor id: 0x011e as indicated in the file in
> question.

> That is why when I issue the command:
>
> # scanimage -d epson --format=tiff > foo.tiff
>
> it actually works.  Yet it's in low resolution and so forth.   Yet if
> I issue the command:
>
> # scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> Which is quite annoying.

Okay, the other thing to check is permissions to the USB devices.  From
devfs.rules:

add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group operator

With that, and the USB IDs in epson.conf, my Epson 1640SU works fine
with a normal user:

% scanimage -L
device `epson2:libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen2.3' is a Epson Perfection1640
flatbed scanner