Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2011 03:30:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        ports-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/metapixel Makefile distinfo

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>   Modified files:
>     graphics/metapixel   Makefile distinfo
>   Log:
>   Properly set CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS at a Makefile level instead of just
>   within MAKE_ENV and incrementally instead of absolutely.

Sometimes this is really frustrating.  Way too many ports are just
so, fragile, and the onus to fix up any the breakage then lies with
those of us who care about general improvements and infrastructure.

So far PR 153625, a really trivial and obviously correct change,
has cost me some eight hours, and I shudder at the thought of how
expensive finally passing LDFLAGS to CONFIGURE_ENV and MAKE_ENV
will prove, let alone properly defaulting CFLAGS or LDFLAGS.

Note, I am very grateful to those of you that incredibly quickly
fixed their ports last week.  I am truely impressed!

Still I think we need a different and more scalable process, something
like this:

 1  An infrastructure change is submitted.
 2. portmgr (or other maintainers) review.
 3. If the review is positive, a pointyhat run is kicked off and for
    every new failure
    - if the port is maintained, a PR is opened and assigned to the
      port maintainer;
    - if the port is unmaintained, it is marked BROKEN and DEPRECATED
      with a deprecation period of two months.

Gerald