Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:29:46 -0400
From:      "Jason Naughton" <jason@naughton.ca>
To:        "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sane-backend 1.0.21 broke on 8.0?

Hi Warren,

I went to the handbook first before sending this email and before madly
surfing the web. If you look at my epson.conf file:

# grep -v "^#" /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
usb 0x04b8 0x011e
usb /dev/uscanner0

The second line is pointless as with Freebsd 8.X there is no /dev/uscanner
of any kind.  The first line indicates that there's a usb scanner of
product id: 0x04b8 and Vendor id: 0x011e as indicated in the file in
question.

This is documented in the epson.conf file part of the sane backend
configuration scripts:

# USB scanner:
# There are two different methods of configuring a
# USB scanner: libusb and the kernel module
# For any system with libusb support (which is
# pretty much any recent Linux distribution) the
# following line is sufficient. This however assumes
# that the connected scanner (or to be more
# accurate, it's device ID) is known to the backend.
# For libusb support for unknown scanners use the
# following command
# usb <product ID> <device ID>
# e.g.:
# usb 0x4b8 0x110
usb 0x04b8 0x011e

That is why when I issue the command:

# scanimage -d epson --format=tiff > foo.tiff

it actually works.  Yet it's in low resolution and so forth.   Yet if
I issue the command:

# scanimage -L

Which is quite annoying.  The scanner worked fine with Freebsd 6.0 and is
fully supported from the sane project:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html

Epson Perfection 1660 Photo is marked as complete, which is true it did
work perfectly.  Yet in Freebsd 6.X I was able to put /dev/uscanner0 in
the epson.conf file and it was also included in the kernel source (ie the
vendor/product id).  Yet since Freebsd 8.0 I haven't been able to make it
work.

Cheers

Jason
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Jason Naughton wrote:
>
>> It seems though that scanimage cannot determine the scanner as it has to
>> be specified by the -d epson as if I issue:
>>
>> $ scanimage --format=tiff > foo2.tiff
>> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>>
>> which is also the same result from
>>
>> $ scanimage -L
>>
>> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>>
>> Not sure why scanimage -L can't find it but sane-find-scanner does..
>> This
>> is the same results for root or user.  I would rather work with xsane as
>> need to increase the resolution of the scan but that fails to find the
>> scanner and thus doesn't work at all.
>
> The Handbook says "No output or a message saying that no scanners were
> identified indicates that scanimage(1) is unable to identify the
> scanner. If this happens, you will need to edit the backend
> configuration file and define the scanner device used."
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/scanners.html#AEN9379

Jason Naughton,  P.Eng, M.E.Sc,
Professional Contractor,
JMN Planning,  Pickering, Ontario,
Office: (416)-509-4886 Fax: (905)-831-3810