Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:53:53 +0530
From:      "ajay gopalakrishnan" <geek.dwells@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   i am facing these issues after my FreeBSD 6.2 installation.

Hi,

I've recently installed FreeBSD release 6.2 successfully except that the
following things that i need importantly dont work. How should i do these?

1. I am using PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE). I am running FreeBSD on Vmware and
i set the network connection as "Bridged" on Vmware. I configured my
Ethernet device with the correct IP, Gateway, Netmask, DNS but i dont know
how to start my internet on FreeBSD. All i do to connect to the internet on
Windows is give my username and password. I also read the PPPoE chapter on
the FreeBSD manual but of no use. How should i start PPoE on FreeBSD?

2. I need Vim. I dont want to use Vi. I searched in my CD-1 and CD-2. But i
could not find the package "vim" inside it. Since i am not able to connect
to the internet is there any other way to install Vim ?

3. How should i configure FreeBSD to start in X mode directly. Currently i
have to do startx to start X on my machine.

4. I want to make "bash" as the default shell instead of "csh". Where is
that configured?

5. Where are the kernel sources located? I need it because i want to do
kernel network programming? Is having kernel sources sufficient or there are
other dependencies also?

6. How do developers usually keep their kernel sources in sync with the main
Central Kernel source? Do we use CVS or Subversion for this?

Thanks & Regards,
Ajay.