Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:32:17 +0000
From:      Ian Lord <lordi@msdi.ca>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Backup solution for freeBSD/Symantec Backup exec porting

>Just some thoughts...

>Many others have suggested to avoid tapes; they have some points, but I th=
ink they are much too pessimistics. I personally >manage several backup sys=
tems, some based on tapes, some on disks, some on a mix of the two.=20
>Think twice before moving from tapes to disk; both have their pros and con=
s.

>I'm using Bacula in at least four different scenarios and I can't agree wi=
th you when you deem it as immature. Sure it has some >rough edges (what bi=
g program doesn't?), but it never failed me.
>Also I found its documentation far from bad.
>I can't tell you anything about tape library support, though, since I neve=
r used a tape library.
>Also, it comes without a GUI; personally I'm fine with CLI, but I agree in=
 this case there are some shortcomings. There are plenty >of web interfaces=
 available, though I'm still waiting to find some time to try them.
>In one case I replaced Backup Exec with Bacula and everyone is much happie=
r that way.

>Just my 2c.

  >bye
>	av.

I know I am going against the trend as everyone is talking about using HD a=
s a backup device, but we are looking as something "my life will depend on"=
. If we were to loose data, we would end up with a multi-million dollars la=
w suit and we'll just go bankrupt.

As we are a SAAS solution, everything is already redundant, we can drop a p=
lane in one of our datacenter and customer won't even notice (technically s=
peaking) as everything is load balanced and replicated live across the site=
s.

We have very high security with loadbalancers, IDS, DDOS protection, etc.

But let say a hacker would manage to get in and play around, or even an ang=
ry employee, or...
A simple "rm -r /" and all of our protection is gone. Our 2 distant copies =
and the zfs snapshots also...

It's kinda hard for a hacker to format all the tapes in a library furthermo=
re, some tapes will be put in a safe...

I love the idea of using HD, so simple, cheap and fast, but if you need abs=
olute peace of mind, I think a tape backup is much more reliable in this se=
nse in my opinion.

That's why I'm trying to see if bacula could be a good solution in our scen=
ario.

You seem to indicate Bacula is reliable and mature enough to be used in suc=
h a "life threatening lol" situation. I'll read more on it and try to figur=
e out if my tape library would work

>From there webpage, the supported autoloaders is really outdated.
http://blog.bacula.org/general/supported-autochangers/

When you are referring to freebsd 4.9 with a 45G Tape, it's hard to be reas=
sured and purchase equipment upfront. If I had that kind of equipment in my=
 lab I would test it out but unfortunately I don't (I'm talking about the L=
TO6 tape library). I've posted a message on bacula's list to see if someone=
 have a working setup.

Thanks a lot for your message.
Ian Lord
MSD Informatique