Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2019 01:41:39 +0200
From:      Georg Bege <georg@bege.email>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Atheros AR9280 5GHz working but still slow? (FreeBSD 11.3)

Hello community,

Im using a Wifi AP with an Atheros card now for quite some time, since a
couple of FreeBSD revisions. I guess started back on FreeBSD 10(?).

My wifi AP seem to limit me to 2MB/s basically, which is pretty slow.
Im not sure if all my options are ok, or if there are some ways I can
tweak around it...
Is this a limitation of the current driver?
Would be very interesting to hear from someone who runs a similar setup
and has more speed/throughput than I do.
I only have this box with this card, cant really tinker a lot around
with other cards - and as I know Atheros is one of the drivers which is
better supported than others.
Back then it was quite hard to get 5GHz running correctly....

Some of my debug output, config files etc.:
-------------------------------dmesg-ath-------------------------------
ath0: <Atheros 9280> mem 0xfe800000-0xfe80ffff at device 0.0 on pci4
[ath] enabling AN_TOP2_FIXUP
ath0: [HT] enabling HT modes
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC receive enabled
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC transmit enabled
ath0: [HT] 2 RX streams; 2 TX streams
ath0: AR9280 mac 128.2 RF5133 phy 13.0
ath0: 2GHz radio: 0x0000; 5GHz radio: 0x00c0
-------------------------------dmesg-ath-------------------------------

-------------------------ifconfig-wlan0--------------------------------
wlan0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric
	ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	hwaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11na <hostap>
	status: running
	ssid XXXXXXXXXXX channel 40 (5200 MHz 11a ht/20) bssid XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	regdomain ETSI country DE ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED
	deftxkey 2 AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 17 mcastrate 6
	mgmtrate 6 scanvalid 60 ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8 shortgi wme
	burst dtimperiod 1 -dfs
	groups: wlan
-------------------------ifconfig-wlan0--------------------------------
As you can see Im using "country DE" - but this cant be the reason for
such slow speed?

-------------------------rc.conf--------------------------------------
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap channel 40:ht/20 country de"
-------------------------rc.conf--------------------------------------

------------------------hostapd.conf----------------------------------
interface=wlan0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd