Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:59:02 +0200
From:      "Marc Silver" <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org

Hi there,

While I agree that PHP isn't perfect, it is still possible to write secure,
fast and scalable code with it.  It's just as easy for a bad programmer to
write bad perl code as it is for them to write bad PHP code.

The one thing I don't like about Perl is that there is too much of a
reliance on third party modules for just about everything.  At least PHP has
(most) of what you need built in.  Bottom line is that there are pros and
cons to just about every language out there.

That said, I'm quite fond of python/pylons/django so I don't mind what
happens, but it's not really fair to write off PHP just because so many
developers who use it are rubbish.

Cheers,
Marc

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
wrote:

> Hi Murray Stokely!
>
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:12:45 -0700; Murray Stokely wrote about 'Re: Need
> an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org':
>
> >> No. Not PHP. Ever. Forget.
> >>
> >>  It should at least cgi or, as aforemetioned, a wiki-like page. There
> can be
> >>  already some wiki engines which allow voting.
> > I've not seen any useful voting mechanism implemented on a wiki.
> > Pointers?  CGI is exactly the kind of 15 year old stagnant web
> > technology we are trying to get away from. We need quick templating,
> > sessions, high level UI libraries, etc..
>
> Yes.
>
> > All of which things like PHP, Python/Django, etc.. provide.
>
> They all provide, except PHP :) Every serious PHP project is reinventing
> template system, database abastraction layers
>
> >       - Murray (who doesn't know/use PHP, but knows that the freebsd
> > web presence is notably missing something like it)
>
> Anything but PHP. Don't choose that buggy, slow, immanently insecure
> technology. Please.
>
> P.S. You can see http://tnx.nl/php for a short summary of PHP drawbacks.
> Even
> Perl is much better.