Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:36:52 +0200
From:      "Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein" <q@uni.de>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.7-PRERELEASE FAILING!!

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:20:39 +0300, you wrote:

>> >When I start them manually they do start however. I did not make any
>> >changes to the rc files during mergemaster.
>>
>> You must have accidentally changed something at mergemaster / install time.
>> Double check that the files in /etc/ didnt get incorrectly altered.  Also,
>> dmesg -a might still have your bootup info stored and it might offer a clue
>> as to what went wrong.
>
>Thanks for the quick response. During mergemaster, I am pretty sure no critical
>file changed. I may swear this and be proved wrong though/

re-run your mergemaster with the -s option and make sure all files are as
accurate as possible.

>What I need to find out is which file controls the starting of the scripts in rc.d/
>
>The first clue I have about all this is that I realized that mysql-server.sh
>refused to start. When I attempted to start it manually the system complained that
>there was "&&" that was unexpected. So I am wondering whether the syntax for /bin/sh
>has changed??? There has never been a probem with these scripts before. They cannot

yes, "command1 & && command2" won't work any longer. please update your
mysql ports as there are new startup scripts (or replace mysql & && echo
mysql with mysql &; echo mysql)

>all develop a problem at once, and furthermore they are the default startup scripts
>that come with apps installed from the ports.

aside from mysql-server.sh which scripts are failing too? do they include
the "& &&" syntax?