Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:43:58 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default inode number too low in FFS nowadays?

--------------enigDE943E0C91F6804A6A260F63

On 02/11/2011 12:57, Borja Marcos wrote:
>=20
> Hi
>=20
> Today I=C2=B4ve come across an issue long ago forgotten :) Running out =
of i-nodes.

Actually, nowadays I mostly *reduce* the number of inodes rather than
increasing it, since I often have large files and want to reduce fsck
time (but that's a corner case).

> Looking at the number of i-nodes per /usr subdirectory, I have noticed =
that, wow! /usr/ports consumes A LOT of them.=20
>=20
> freebsd9-borja#	find . -print | wc -l
>   405481

Did you forget to do "make clean" after "make install" on several large
ports?

But yes, the ports tree is getting a bit unwieldy. On the other hand,
did you fsck the file system lately?