Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:08:02 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk layout concernes (was Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change )

At 4:32 PM -0600 3/18/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>> >Then you have been remiss in describing your situation to me.  I have
>> >not received any sort of bug report from you regarding your situation,
>> >let alone any supporting detail.
>>
>> I previously offered to send you whatever you might wish from the disk in
>> question.
>> Just tell me what you wish.
>
>The information so far is a good start; it's a disk configured with
>'disklabel auto'.
As I recall, you had previously mentioned that to be the case which
was giving you trouble.

>  Now, how about the failure mode?  What version of kern/vfs_conf.c are
>you using?
Well, it's too late to tell...
While I was waiting for your reply, I did another update.
kern/vfs_conf.c got changed in the process. I suspect that means that
my latest attempt did not have your latest change.

>  How old is the bootblock on the disk?
How do I easily tell?

>> I also never saw anything that told me that you had fixed it in the 2.2
>>branch.
>> The last word that I recall was that you were working on it.
>
>I replied to you just after I believed I had corrected the behaviour
>for cases such as yours.

Sorry, I don't recall seeing that message.

>Thanks for the response.

And thanks for speaking up again. I'd prefer that we not need to back out
the changes.
My criteria for that are that 1) Most cases work and there is a work-around
for the rest.
2) We document the hell out of the unexpected differences.

Hopefully your latest change has taken care of (1) and someone is handling (2).

I'll let you know just as soon I I get a new kernel to try.

Richard Wackerbarth