Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:02:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@TFS.COM (Julian Elischer)
To:        forum@TFS.COM, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   historical note..

I just found this in the BSD4.3 kernel I'm trying to debug..
it's from vmparam.h..

/*
 * Just for fun: current memory prices are 4600$ a megabyte on VAX (4/22/81),
 * so we loan each swapped in process memory worth 100$, or just admit
 * that we don't consider it worthwhile and swap it out to disk which costs
 * $30/mb or about $0.75.
 */

 note that the cost of RAM is less what it cost for disk then..
 15 years change.. and due to inflation, the ram is even cheaper
 in real terms..

 in the code in question they are trying to save 25K for the process...........

 julian