Date:      21 Aug 2009 17:49:26 -0400
From:      Luke S Crawford <lsc@prgmr.com>
To:        Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finishing up the xen port - would funding help?

Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@gmail.com> writes:
> for over 3 years we're now looking at a mostly-working, breaking,
> half-working port, breaking, half-working of FreeBSD to xen.
> personally I think this is a very sad state, especially considering how well
> FreeBSD (-current, with patches) worked in Xen 2.
>
> I wonder if starting a fundraiser (like the ones initiated by rsync.net)
> might help this problem.
> I think we would have to scratch up enough for a month of kip's (or someone
> else's) time to see everything addressed and the xen patches finally being
> merged in a sane way like NetBSD did it.

I see lots of interest... if money and/or hardware helps, I can scratch
up some myself, and I'd be happy to help flog the idea to others.

I could commit to donating a core2 server with 8GiB ram and 2 disks,
along with hosting if you need it with rebooter and serial (or I could ship
the server to someone) plus a whole bunch of Linux dom0 servers you could
test out DomUs on. I could also scrape up some cash.
(unfortunately, my own budget isn't as flush as it was a few months ago,
when I tried to set one of my friends on the project.)

I'd also be happy to try to talk my competitors into helping the effort
(us Xen hosting providers probably have more financial interest in
paravirtualized FreeBSD support than anyone else, also donating to this
sort of thing is good advertising.)

So is anyone up for the coding task?  Who?  and how much money do we need
to come up with to get this done?    (If it helps fundrasing, I'd be
more than happy to give anyone who donates money to the cause $1 in
credit towards renting  FreeBSD Xen DomUs on my system for every $1
they donate towards coding the project up.)

I'm sure there are many others willing to kick in,  and I know I'd
certainly be willing to do some legwork to find some of that money,
I think if we had someone like Kip put a number on it, we could reach
that number.

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept