Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:39:20 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp -nat fails with adsl, but ok with modem

I've had ppp -nat working just fine over a normal modem link,
but it is not working at all well on my ADSL link to the same
provider.

To quantify "not working at all well", although I can ping and
traceroute ok from the hosts on my LAN, HTTP and FTP traffic is
so slow and bursty as to be useless.  Clicking on a link with
Netscape will see short bursts of data with long periods (of a
minute or more) where it says "stalled".

Clicking on <http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/newsflash.html>; from
my gateway host gets the page in an eye-blink, but on the NAT
hosts, it will take 40 seconds to load the top banner and the
"FreeBSD GNOME News Flash" heading, then another delay of 40 or
so seconds before the rest of the page will be displayed.  Even
then, Netscape thinks it has stalled and keeps waiting for the
last bit of data.

With FTP, a small transfer (e.g., a directory listing of / on
ftp.freebsd.org) will complete normally; but something slightly
larger (e.g., a listing of /pub/FreeBSD on the same server),
will produce:

    ftp> cd /pub/FreeBSD
    250 CWD command successful.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
    ftp: netin: Connection reset by peer
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp> quit
    421 Timeout (60 seconds): closing control connection.

If I do the same things from the host that is connected to the
modem(s), everything works fine, for both types of connections.

I'm finding this very frustrating, and I'm wondering if there's
something weird about PPPoE with the ADSL link that needs some
special magic in order for things to work properly.

If anybody can point me at the truth, I'd be most grateful.

Alternatively, if anybody can suggest steps I could take to
identify the nature of the problem, that would also be most
welcome.

Greg Black