Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:33:08 -0400
From:      bdsfbsd@att.net
To:        "Mikle Krutov" <nekoexmachina@gmail.com>, "Matthias Apitz" <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netbooks & BSD

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:50:12 -0400, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>  =

  =

> escribi=F3:
>
>> Hello, list!
>> I'm going to buy a netbook soon, so a question is which one.
>> The choice is between
>> 1) Samsung N127
>> 2) ASUS Eee PC 900AX
>> 3) MSI U120-094
>> Which one is the best for running FreeBSD?
>> "The best" mainly is for opensource (e.g. not ndis) & stable wireless=

>> drivers.
>> So, any good experience and suggestions?
>> Thank you for your time!
>
> I have no idea about which would be the best one,
> but I'm using right now (in the moment of typing) an EeePC 900,
> details here: http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC-8CURRENT.txt
> and this is just fine;
>
> HIH
>
> 	matthias

+1 on EeePC, mine being the 1000. This uses a not-yet-supported wireless=
  =

card (rt2860), but a driver is available and seems to work fine:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D7010
http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git
(Contrary to the troll-bait happening in a similar thread right now..)

Matthias took the plunge for KDE, which I do like, but for my Eee I went=
  =

with Xfce. Matthias' work and documentation is more thorough than mine, =
so  =

I'm looking thorough it for ideas.

BTW, the specs on the 900AX make me think that Asus is using the model t=
o  =

offload old hardware. But if the price is very low, it still may be wort=
h  =

it. Personally I prefer to have an SSD instead of HDD, and I wouldn't wa=
nt  =

a screen any smaller than the 10".

Brian