Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:03:01 +0200
From:      news <news@saz.gr>
To:        freebsd-elastic@freebsd.org
Subject:   Logstash 6.x plugins installation and updates

Hello,

Last week I managed to make logstash6(from a test port I created on a vm)
to install some plugins(logstash-output-influxdb for example).

So...
on /usr/local/logstash/bin there is logstash-plugin file(which is a shell
script) which can be used to install logstash plugins which are not
included on the default installation.
If the plugin doesn't need to update any of the included plugins it gets
installed

user@mdb001:/usr/local/logstash/bin# ./logstash-plugin install
logstash-output-influxdb
expr: illegal option -- C
expr: usage: expr [-e] expression

Validating logstash-output-influxdb
Installing logstash-output-influxdb
Installation successful

the expr error is probably a syntax error because it's trying to use gnu
expr and not the one we have on FreeBSD.

The installation of the plugin I tried(logstash-output-plugin) seems to
work. Also I used a working configuration from a linux setup I have on
production and it didn't produce any errors.

The big problems start when I try to update the included plugins, which
can cause also problems if a plugin needs an updated version of a
installed plugin(if we try to install the logstash-output-influxdb plugin
on logstash5 port we can see it tries to update the logstash-core plugin
and it fails)

Here is an output of a failed update:

user@mdb001:/usr/local/logstash/bin# ./logstash-plugin update
expr: illegal option -- C
expr: usage: expr [-e] expression

Updating logstash-codec-cef, logstash-codec-collectd, logstash-codec-dots,
logstash-codec-edn, logstash-codec-edn_lines, logstash-codec-es_bulk,
logstash-codec-fluent, logstash-codec-graphite, logstash-codec-json,
logstash-codec-json_lines, logstash-codec-line, logstash-codec-msgpack,
logstash-codec-multiline, logstash-codec-netflow, logstash-codec-plain,
logstash-codec-rubydebug, logstash-filter-aggregate,
logstash-filter-anonymize, logstash-filter-cidr, logstash-filter-clone,
logstash-filter-csv, logstash-filter-date, logstash-filter-de_dot,
logstash-filter-dissect, logstash-filter-dns, logstash-filter-drop,
logstash-filter-elasticsearch, logstash-filter-fingerprint,
logstash-filter-geoip, logstash-filter-grok, logstash-filter-jdbc_static,
logstash-filter-jdbc_streaming, logstash-filter-json, logstash-filter-kv,
logstash-filter-metrics, logstash-filter-mutate, logstash-filter-ruby,
logstash-filter-sleep, logstash-filter-split, logstash-filter-syslog_pri,
logstash-filter-throttle, logstash-filter-translate,
logstash-filter-truncate, logstash-filter-urldecode,
logstash-filter-useragent, logstash-filter-xml, logstash-input-beats,
logstash-input-dead_letter_queue, logstash-input-elasticsearch,
logstash-input-exec, logstash-input-file, logstash-input-ganglia,
logstash-input-gelf, logstash-input-generator, logstash-input-graphite,
logstash-input-heartbeat, logstash-input-http, logstash-input-http_poller,
logstash-input-imap, logstash-input-jdbc, logstash-input-kafka,
logstash-input-pipe, logstash-input-rabbitmq, logstash-input-redis,
logstash-input-s3, logstash-input-snmptrap, logstash-input-sqs,
logstash-input-stdin, logstash-input-syslog, logstash-input-tcp,
logstash-input-twitter, logstash-input-udp, logstash-input-unix,
logstash-output-cloudwatch, logstash-output-csv,
logstash-output-elasticsearch, logstash-output-email,
logstash-output-file, logstash-output-graphite, logstash-output-http,
logstash-output-influxdb, logstash-output-kafka,
logstash-output-lumberjack, logstash-output-nagios, logstash-output-null,
logstash-output-pagerduty, logstash-output-pipe, logstash-output-rabbitmq,
logstash-output-redis, logstash-output-s3, logstash-output-sns,
logstash-output-sqs, logstash-output-stdout, logstash-output-tcp,
logstash-output-udp, logstash-output-webhdfs
Error Bundler::InstallError, retrying 1/10
An error occurred while installing atomic (1.1.100), and Bundler cannot
continue.
Make sure that `gem install atomic -v '1.1.100'` succeeds before bundling.

Has anyone managed to make it work ?

Fotis