Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:18:31 -0700
From:      Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
To:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ata probing twice.

At 11:47 PM +0900 6/18/01, Makoto MATSUSHITA wrote:
>(from dmesg output)
>atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device
>7.1 on pci0
>ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
>ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0

This looks right to me. One main PIIX4 ATA controller with two
independent IDE channels (usually referred to as a Primary and a
Secondary IDE controller). Usually the PC BIOS will allow you to turn
on/off these channels independently. Does your bios allow you to turn
off the Secondary?

>I've tried to figure out what's going on with atacontrol(8), and got:
>
>ushi % sudo atacontrol info ata0
>Master slot:  ad0: <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>Slave  slot:  no device present
>ushi % sudo atacontrol info ata1
>Master slot:  ad0: <IBM-DJSA-220/JS4OAC3A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>Slave  slot:  no device present
>
>Apparantly, the kernel attaches same bus/HDD _twice_.

I don't think the HDD is being detected twice. Try this instead:

    % sudo atacontrol info 0
    % sudo atacontrol info 1

Mark