Date:      18 Feb 2000 15:24:21 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dougcustra@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: how do i?

"JONATHAN DOUGLAS" <dougcustra@hotmail.com> writes:

> I emailed these same questions to questions@freebsd.org my reply was that i
> would have to shell out cash for an answer. ?

No.  I said that to get technical support for e-commerce-related
questions from *me*, you'd have to pay me.  I was in no way speaking
for anyone but myself.  Of course, it's unlikely anyone will guarantee
their answers for free, but that's only fair.

I apologize for the confusion; I will endeavor to avoid irony in the
future.  I keep forgetting that so many people miss it completely.  A
sarcastic (oops! sarcasm is a form of irony, isn't it -- I seem to
have broken my resolution already) about Americans would belong here
if I weren't one myself.

"JONATHAN DOUGLAS" <dougcustra@hotmail.com> writes:

> freebsd 3.3
> How do I set quotas?
> after i adduser how do i restrist his amount of disk space?
> I have read the man pages. I did some things it said but then my machine
> would not boot after i edited my fstab.

Oh, good.  You're making progress.  At least this time you read some
documentation before asking a question.  Your description of what you
did is far too short of details (well, okay, it's completely devoid of
them) to actually tell you what you did wrong, but it's a step in the
right direction.

Let's take it a step at a time.

"JONATHAN DOUGLAS" <dougcustra@hotmail.com> writes:

> freebsd 3.3

Okay, good.  A little out of date, but not enough that I think the
answers to these questions have changed.

> How do I set quotas?

There is an entire section of the handbook -- over 1400 words --
devoted to this topic.  Unless you describe what problems you had with
the approach described there, there's no way to tell what kinds of
information would help you.  The only help we can offer is "read it
again, please."

> after i adduser how do i restrist his amount of disk space?

Well, that's more specific.  The answer (which is explained at length
in the handbook entry) is "with edquota(8)".

> I have read the man pages. I did some things it said but then my machine
> would not boot after i edited my fstab.

Well, then you did the wrong things to your fstab.  Without knowing
what you did, it's hard to say more.  The only thing you need to add
for per-user quotas is "userquota" in the options field of the file.
Of course, you need quota support compiled into your kernel, first,
and several other bits of infrastructure support.

To get your system booting again, follow the directions in the FAQ
question titled "Eek! I forgot the root password!" only fix /etc/fstab
(restore the original version) instead of the password file.

>                                         What software is available for
> ecommerce on freebsd, such as shopping cart software.

Several have been mentioned on this mailing list in the past.  Unless
I've missed one, none of them are free.  Something called "Minivend"
appeared to be the most popular.

Good luck.
          Lowell
--
A flame?  No, I don't think this qualifies.  A flame would've been
more fun to write, for one thing...