Date:      10 Mar 1997 18:18:46 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        dg@root.com, bag@sinbin.demos.su, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q about 100Mb ether cards

Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> writes:

> > been able to get it to work. The Pro/100B is well supported; it's what I'm
> > using in wcarchive and I haven't had any problems. It consumes about half
> > the CPU time that the de driver does and has about the same level of
>
> that's curious though, since both do DMA from/to mbufs. What CPU
> overhead are we talking about, 1% or 10% ?
>
> Any idea on what to look at in the de driver to improve performance
> ? Since I have spent a few days on it, I am moderately familiar
> with that code now.

Does anyone know if the vx driver supports the 3c905 in 100Mbps mode?
I am just getting quotes for a new machine and most of the people I
have talked to are trying to sell me this card as part of their
configurations.  Maybe I should buy Intel cards instead.  On the other
hand, I could fix the 3com driver if it turns out not to work...

Incidentally, I just picked up an 8 port 100base TX hub for GBP 470.
Amazing.  Last time I checked these things were in the thousands.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761