Date:      14 Jan 2002 10:31:11 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011453837.c70e1f@mired.org>
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO -- backup onto CDRs?

"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011453837.c70e1f@mired.org> writes:

> I wouldn't recommend writing anything directly to the CD. That thought
> just bothers me. Maybe if I could get dump to write CD-size chunks
> direct to cdrecord and prompt for the next one, but even then...

I wander if he just meant to avoid the mkisofs step.  Is it ever
possible to write directly to the CD (successfully)?  I doubt it.

Or maybe he meant to avoid saving the archive to hard disk by piping
it to the CD burning program.  I don't know if even the fastest system
could do that, but it's easy enough to test and should be safe enough
since the burning program will tell you if you don't feed it data fast
enough.

A NOTE ON "dump" USAGE: I see a problem with using dump in that the man
page says it doesn't dump files and directories with the "nodump" file
flag set.  That seems to mean that to do a backup with confidence, one
would need to run "chflags" on everything one intends to dump.  Not a
big problem if one remembers to do it; it just lengthens the process.