Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 23:48:48 +0100
From:      rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
To:        Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8 character login limit

At 1:01 pm 29/5/96, Randy Terbush wrote:
>Can anyone shed some light on the reasons for this limit?
>
>After a quick look, it would appear that the only thing that
>trips on this limit is 'login'. I have not checked the getpw*()
>functions.
>
>Is it out of the question to remove this restriction?
>
>Comments?

A while ago, I had occasion to do a closely-related exercise to increase
the significant password length on one of the mainstream commercial Unixes
(no names, no litigation (I hope!) but it came from BSD4.x originally). You
really wouldn't believe the ramifications. Unless the code has cleaned
itself up a lot in the meanwhile I'd have to rate this as quite a Big Deal.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK