Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:36:15 -0700
From:      Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@eugene.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vexing kernel compile problem

I ran into some unexpected trouble today while attempting to recompile a
kernel to add support for a device on a server running 2.1.5-RELEASE -- a
kernel I've compiled before umpteen times.  The compile errored out with
the following message:  "/usr/lib/crt0.o Undefined symbol
'--startup_setlocale' referenced from text segment  Error 1."  Hmmm...
Okay, remove the newly added line in the kernel config file, make clean,
make.  ...Same deal, error in the same point in the compile.  Now, this is
the original config file that was used to compile the current, working
kernel.  Maybe some files in /usr/lib are corrupted; but I have a clone of
this server, also running 2.1.5.  Tar up /usr/lib on clone, FTP, untar on
this server, replacing all files in that directory.  Make clean, etc.  Same
error, same point [mutter].  All right.  Let's unholster some bigger guns.
First, make sure a kernel will compile on clone machine... it does.  Tar up
entire /usr/src directory, FTP to recalitrant machine, untar.  And, just
for grins and giggles, let's do the same thing with /usr/include.  Okay.
An exact copy of all the kernel source files, libraries, and includes on
the clone machine, which, as we know, will compile a kernel successfully.
Make, you dirty rackafras.  I dare you to blow up now, I just dare...  DOH!
[Sound of trombone imitating derisive laugh.]

Well, either some additional necessary step that I'm unaware of needs to be
performed, or an element of the supernatural is entering into this
exercise.  Ah, me.

.\\ichelle