Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:33:54 -0400
From:      lists <lists@vivdev.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ports versus ports

Well I am dilligently reading as much of the various discussions as time
and vocabulary will allow, and I am happy to report that I am able to
understand and follow more and more of what is being discussed.  Which
isn't to say I understand much.  :-)

Anyhow, I understand that there are ports - as in stuff that has been
recompiled to work in a new environment (such as FreeBSD) from another
environment (say, Linux).

Then, there are ports - as in that to which a number is assigned by IANA
for TCP and UDP.

Having R(some of)TFM, I have a question or two.

It isn't coincidence that these things have the same name is it?
What precisely do these things have in common and what separates them?

Thanks ya'll.

thanks,

chris

lists@vivdev.com

/"\    ASCII Ribbon campaign against E-Mail
\ /     in gratuitous HTML and Microsoft
 X    proprietary formats.
/ \    Post no attachments to the lists!