Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:57:59 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Richard Scheper <scheper@beast.toad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

At 11:25 AM -0600 7/22/99, Nate Williams wrote:
>> Also, I don't understand why initializing xdm in /etc/ttys
>> doesn't work since by then init should have executed getty
>> on the appropriate ttvs.
>
> It *should* work.  I'm not sure why it's not working, unless
> there are no free ttys for it to work on.

This probably doesn't help much, but I'm running xdm on my
SMP system without any apparent trouble.  I just turned the
entry for XDM in '/etc/ttys' from off to on.  Dual-PPro
system, running 3.stable as of a little earlier this week.
I built it JUST before the new XFree86 was released, so I
don't have the latest XFree.

I've run freebsd quite awhile without installing X.  When
I first installed and configured it, I tried to start it
up by typing "X" instead of xdm.  *That* locked up my
system in a way that sounds somewhat like what is being
suggested here.  Typing at the keyboard did not do anything.
I had to slogin from another machine, kill that X process,
and then put my brain in gear to remember how I was SUPPOSED
to startup X...

I haven't done a lot with X on this system, but everything
I've done has worked fine.  I've rebooted it a few dozen
times without it ever locking up.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute