Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:27:57 -0800
From:      Steve Leibel <stevel@coastside.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to disable local dns lookups?

I have a second machine (a Mac, as it happens) on my home network.  I
don't run a local DNS.

When I telnet or ftp into my FreeBSD machine from my Mac, the
connection takes about 30 or 40 seconds to come up.

However when I turn on my dialup Internet connection (which
coincidentally is on the Mac -- I use the Mac as a router, using
third-party routing software called IPNetrouter) my telnet and ftp
connections to FreeBSD come up right away, as they should.

What I think must be happening is that when my Net connection is
down, FreeBSD must be trying to do  DNS resolution, retrying a few
times, and then giving up.

How do I tell telnet and ftp on FreeBSD to not do DNS lookups when
receiving connection requests?  Or do you think something else is
going on?

Steve L