Date:      24 Dec 1998 22:19:45 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/dict web2

"David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com> writes:
> > Um, you may be correct (in fact I'd tend to think "corelate" is a
> > *mis*spelling), but I don't think we should go about and edit the
> > dictionary like that, at least not as long as the README says what it
> > does.
> When I am forced to spell check my papers on Solaris because FreeBSD
> allows what my Quals committee deems a misspelling (and all current
> dictionaries I could find in my lab), I will "fix" FreeBSD.

The point is that you're not fixing FreeBSD, you're fixing Webster's
Second International. The *least* you can do is add a note to
/usr/share/dict/README to the effect that a few words have been
removed to reflect the evolution of the language, or something. If
someone on the FreeBSD team makes an invalid "correction" to the
dictionary we'll be distributing an erroneous dictionary and
attributing the mistakes to Webster.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no