Date:      06 Sep 2000 17:41:33 -0400
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bbauman@wgate.com (Bruce Bauman)
Subject:   GDB 4.18 and shared libraries (Mozilla)

	I (and some coworkers) are having problems with GDB under
4.1-stable and shared libraries (particularily in Mozilla).  Ever since
upgrading from 3.3 or 3.4-stable to 4.1-stable, GDB gives bogus line
numbers/addresses for references in shared libraries, doesn't show
arguments, can't display auto variables, etc.  For functions in the
main executable, line numbers are right and arguments print.

	All the shared libraries were totally rebuilt after upgrading
(from scratch).

	Debug information seems to be present in the libraries as linked,
including line number info, but it's very hard to determine if it's
correct from the output of 'nm'.

	Any ideas?

	Note: this is not the Mozilla port from /usr/ports; I'm tracking
the source tree.

My .mozconfig:

# sh
# Build configuration script
#
# See http://www.mozilla.org/build/unix.html for build instructions.
#
ac_add_options --disable-pedantic
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-xterm-updates
ac_add_options --enable-debug

Options from the M17 port in /usr/ports:

		--disable-cpp-rtti		\
		--disable-debug			\
		--disable-idltool		\
		--disable-md			\
		--disable-pedantic		\
		--disable-xterm-updates		\
		--enable-cpp-exceptions		\
		--enable-double-buffer		\
		--enable-editor			\
		--enable-mailnews		\
		--enable-mathml			\
		--enable-optimize		\
		--enable-pics			\
		--enable-tests			\
		--enable-toolkit=gtk		\
		--enable-x11-shm		\
		--with-pthreads			\
		--with-jpeg=${LOCALBASE}	\
		--with-png=${LOCALBASE}

I believe cpp-rtti defaults to off, cpp-exceptions defaults to on, toolkit
defaults to gtk, and most of the others are irrelevant to this.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com