Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 00:30:20 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The VIVA file system (fwd)

>Anybody have opinions on this vs LFS? Are we still waiting for the Lite-2
>stuff, before LFS can go in?

The fact that they claim extraordinary performance for a filesystem
that sounds like it's only about a third implemented?  ;-)

Remember the last 10% and 90% of the time/effort...

[...]
>indirect blocks. Benchmark results of our implementation of VIVA in the
>Linux kernel show that it is much faster than Ext2, the default Linux
>filesystem, for common file operations.

>The Linux implementation of VIVA is a "work in progress".  It does not
>yet handle partitions larger than 64M (so that the allocation bitmap
>fits readily in memory).  Individual files are limited to about 8M
>(inodes currently have only a single indirect block).  There are no
>fragments; block size is restricted to 1K.  (Adding logical blocks of
>larger size will relieve some of these limitations.)

So, what is it good for besides development and benchmarks? :-)  I'll
be more impressed when I see the finished product benchmarked against
something else.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net