Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 18:54:10 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nwestfal@Vorlon.odc.net (Neal Westfall)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't free vnode

Neal Westfall stands accused of saying:

> > There are two occasions when this happens; the first is in a very low
> > RAM condition when you fill up swap.  The fix is to add more swap.
>
> We have a 100 MB swap partition on this machine.  Is this adequate?
> (keeping in mind the machine has 32MB ram and it is a news server)

If you are running a full newsfeed and allowing NNRP readers, general
consensus would appear to be 'no'.  Most of the people I've read talking
about their news servers go to 64+M of core and 2-500M of swap.

Naturally, your mileage may vary; what does 'swapinfo' tell you about
your swap consumption?  How big (RSS, VSZ) are your news processes?

These are particularly good questions to ask while an expire is running.

> > The easiest workaround for now is to make sure you have sufficient
> > free vnodes by jacking up the desiredvnodes.
>
> Is this something we can change in the kernel configuration?  Or the
> source?  Or is this something we need to patch in INN?

This is Terry becoming too specific about the nature of the problem 8)
In your case, you can check the number of inodes free on your news
filesystem(s) and monitor your swap usage carefully.  If any of these
seem low, it's likely that they'll contribute to the problem that Terry
has described.

> Neal Westfall

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[