Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 00:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Stefan Arentz <stefan@netscafe.rotterdam.luna.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Longer Logins... problems

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Stefan Arentz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm migrating a web server from Solaris 2.4 to a FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE box. We
> user usernames <= 16 on Solaris, so I'm trying to change the limits in FreeBSD.
>
> Could someone who has done this before tell me if this is the right way to do
> it?
>
> /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h -> #define MAXLOGNAME 20
> /usr/src/include/utmp.h -> #define UT_NAMESIZE 16
>
> cd /usr/src/
> make libraries

  You probably shouln't increase MAXLOGNAME over 16.  I think there may be
some hidden depencies on 16 or less usernames in the kernel.

  You will also need to rebuild almost everything.  Not just the
libraries.  If a program includes utmp.h it will need to re-compiled.
This includes "w", "who", "last", "ftpd", etc

  The safest thing is to do a "make world"

Tom