Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:16:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        reddawg@shellz.malicia.com, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OC3

>  Mark, I emailed the place thats going to be at the other end of the atm
>  and they told me they will be doing ip over atm. I plan on getting an
>  efficient 155Mbit atm card and im going to use the phone companies fiber
>  is that all I will need?

ah the joys of ATM. Is the phone company going to connect you with a
Permanent Virtual Circuit (PVC), or is it going to be a Switched Virtual
Circuit (SVC)? If it is SVC, which signalling protocol do they expect you
to run (UNI, SPANS, NNI, etc).

Since you are running Classical IP over ATM, then using the HARP
(http://www.msci.magic.net/harp/) looks promising, provided you
phone company uses either UNI 3.0 or FORE Systems' SPANS signalling protocol.
If they need a network to network signalling protocol, you are in trouble.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the HARP stack does not offer
quality of service, so you may inquire with the phone company what
their expectations of the connection (CBR, ABR, UBR).

I am carboning this back to the freebsd-atm group in case I forgot
a question that you will need to ask.

--mark.