Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 06:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/8518: freopen() in append mode followed by ftell() gives strange results

The following reply was made to PR bin/8518; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>
To: bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc: Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG,
        sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:03:00 +0100 (CET)

 Bruce Evans:

 >>Create empty /tmp/test file and run the program three times. Each
 >>time it will print 0 and 4. BSD/OS prints 0 4, 0 8 and 0 12. Solaris
 >>and Linux print 0 4, 4 8 and 8 12.
 >
 >The BSD/OS behaviour is the least surprising.  The initial offsets
 >of zero may even be required (if no other process writes to the file).
 >POSIX.1 specifies fopen() to just use open(), and freopen() to do much
 >the same thing as fopen().  Therefore, the initial offsets at the file
 >descriptor level are zero, and for "a+" mode, an initial read would
 >start at the beginning of the file.  Only the fuzzy specification of
 >permits the initial offsets at the stream level to be nonzero.

 But let's not look at the initial offset now but the offsets after writing 4
 bytes. FreeBSD reports here three times '4' which looks completely wrong in
 my opinion: when you have "testtest" in a file and you append "test" ftell
 should say 12 isn't it?

 Arjan

 --
 Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands              <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>