Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 19:01:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux uname(3) and licensed apps

I just read all the posts about uname(3) returning "FreeBSD" instead of Linux.

Evangelism aside, I have an application that requires uname() to return
Linux.  I've spoken with them and they have no intention of providing a
workaround until September earliest.

The application uses uname() and then says that it requires "Linux 2.0 or
Solaris 2.5" to run and exits.

What can I do to get uname() to report some bogus Linux info so I can run
this app?

Again, I'm not interested in evangelism.  Whining to them about a FreeBSD
version or compatible version is not going to help matters - I already tried.
The reason they do this is sound to me.  They're checking for a specific
version of Linux that their product is supported on.  Other versions are not
supported.  Makes sense since Linux is such a moving target.

Even with the above mentioned Sepember workaround - even if the software
runs - it won't be supported by them on other platforms.

What do I have to do to get this running?

Chris