Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 00:05:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        ulf@Alameda.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tips needed about dynamic device registering

> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>
> > I need some tips how I should go ahead and register dynamic on boot time
> > disk drive device, simular like "device sd0". The raid controller I am
> > working on can have up to 32 "drives", which have mainly a read block
> > and a write block function.
> >
> > DEVFS would probably one way, but I am also interested in doing it without
> > DEVFS.
> As the devfs person I agree devfs is the way, but you probably want this
> to run on 2.2.x as well.
>
> can you describe what you want to do with an example?
> I don't exactly understand your question.
> (I can think of several possible meanings)
>
> as I wrote sd.c I can probably help if I knew what you wanted to know.

Basic this:

Device myx<number>.ctl or so, gives a control interface, which allows
talking with the controller, so that for example a rebuild of a RAID
drive can be initiated or a new system drive can be added.

Then x sd type devices, where maybe the minor number is based on the
controller unit (1 to 4 controllers) and the number of the system drive.
Something like this:

Major myx Minor   0 = 1. Controller,  1. system drive
Major myx Minor   1 = 1. Controller,  2. system drive
Major myx Minor  31 = 1. Controller, 32. system drive
Major myx Minor  32 = 2. Controller,  1. system drive
Major myx Minor 127 = 4. Controller, 32. system drive

This would provide garantied number, based on the controller
and system drive number and someone would have space to online
add disk capacity.

> julian
>

> > Ulf.

Ulf.