Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:17:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cirrus Logic PD6729

> Did you re-install the includes?  I'm compiling stuff with DDB and I
> don't have any problems.

Yes: yesterday I went to Gianmarco Giovannelli's home (he said me you know
him...) and did a "make reinstall" from his -current world. I fixed the
includes, and broke ps, w, and the shutdown itself (the kernel now panics
every time you do a shutdown while unmounting the disks) :(

No problem, I will sup the sources myself and do a "make world" ASAP. I will
have to use a NFS disk to make the world, because my laptop has not enough
space, but it is the only machine here with the 3.0... *sigh* I think I will
beat the "slowest make world record" :)

BTW, any chance to build 3.0 on top of 2.2.5 without notching 2.2.5 itself?

> want to post this kind of information to -stable and see if they know of
> bugs in the current system.

To -stable? Not to -current?

> (Note, I'm also having problems getting a back-trace as well when it
> crashes mounting my DOS partition...)

Well, so *you* should post that information... ;-)

>> after accessing location 0x10. Please note that the IP points to that
>> location.
>
> Something is hosed up.

What about interrupt vector initialization? Where does irq 10 vector point at
startup?

Today I investigated further on the problem, and I verified a suspect that I
had: after the first (cold) boot, the PCMCIA card and the controller are not
disabled while rebooting.

I proved this making a broadcast ping from another machine on my network. As
with many other cards, my 3c589d blinks the led every time a packet is seen on
the Ethernet cable (I'm using a BNC connection). Well, the led is blinking
after "shutdown -r", while the machine is doing the POST and while it is
configured with enabled IO mem and interrupts, and *probably* the panic i get
is simply an irq without a handler.

Moreover, I disabled the IO & MEM mapping and the interrupts inside pcic_probe
routine, and... tadaaaaa... now it seems to work. A few more tests, with a more
decent installation, and I will send you the patches.

BTW, wouldn't it be better to disable the controller and to power off the
PCMCIA card(s) at shutdown time, just like W*ndows 95 (sorry) does? I gave a
look at the kernel sources, and saw that it is calling a series of handlers to
do house keeping just before suicide. You could attach yourself an handler to
shut off the pccard things.

> Ahh, can you disable APM just for kicks to see if that makes things any
> better?

Yes, no: yes, I can disable APM; no, unfortunately it didn't make things
better...

> Nate

Bye, UP