Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:09:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, me@FreeBSD.ORG, gj@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

As Julian Stacey wrote...
> Hi SCSI people,
> Is it necessary to format a 4.3G SCSI disc on the same system + controller
> 	ncr0 <ncr 53c810a fast10 scsi> rev 18 int a irq 10 on pci0:10
> that the disc will later run FreeBSD on ?

Not necessary. I assume you mean format as in 'sending it the SCSI
command FORMAT UNIT'

> BTW on my 2.2.5 system with the NCR controller, (with root on wd0) I did:
> scsi -f /dev/rsd0c -m 1 -e -P 3
>  AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
>  ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
> 			[ so the disc _should_ be self correcting,
> 			  but obviously isn't, is running out of sectors ]

If that is really the case this is normally the disc dying. Or
overheating!!!

> scsi -f /dev/rsd0c -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"
>  SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl: Command accepted.
>  return status 1 (Command Timeout) after 2000 msCommand out (6 of 6):
>  04 00 00 00 00 00
>  No sense sent.
> 			[ Don't know what's wrong

The format takes much longer than 2 seconds: man scsi

-s sets the command timeout in seconds.  The default is two seconds.

It's more like a couple of hours for 4Gb. ;-) See also 'man scsiformat'

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --